Sunday, March 8, 2009

Rhymes: What the Ef is an Asher Roth?

Asher Roth has been making some noise on the underground scene since 2007. He is a white, from the suburbs, and he has been hearing countless comparisons to Eminem. I'm still not sure what to make of Mr. Roth. I gave his mixtape a listen during the summer, but I dismissed him because I paired him in the group of what i call "parody rappers" who really don't rap about anything, but just make funny songs (ie: Afroman, Jamie Kennedy, Mickey Avalon, etc.). He is obviously aimed at a target audience, the college frat boys, which I think is extremely corny and lame. And I hated his first single (listen below) "I Love College" at first, but it has started to grow on me, and it is going to be huge. If not on the radio, then sure enough at college frat parties.



This song is undeniably catchy, but I also think it depicts the collge life very inaccurately. But at the same time, it's a party song about partying and having fun, so why am I over analyzing it so much? I'm still not sure how I feel about this up and coming rapper, but I will check out his corny ass titled debut album "Asleep in the Bread Aisle" which comes out April 17.

2 comments:

  1. Is this song describing our parties in BG? HA! Just kidding... if only. Agreed though, this is kinda corny and very frat-ty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the lyrics depict parties some what. the video doesn't, it looks like a party at an NBA player's mansion. The song does not describe college well though, there's no way Asher Roth can just party everyday and be there for four years. "I love college, too bad I could only go for a year"

    ReplyDelete