Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Rhymes: Greatest Albums of All-Time: #5 Reflection Eternal (Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek) - Train of Thought

I bought this album 1/1/05. That was the beginning of the 2nd semester of my freshman year in high school. At this point I was starting my transition into a different type of hip hop. It was a few months after the disappointing Encore album by Eminem, and I was growing tired of mainstream hip hop in general. Reflection Eternal was my gateway into I dont want to say conscious, but just better hip hop.

This classic 2000 album, is highly regarded as one of the best hip hop releases of this decade. With flawless production provided by Cincinnati native, Hi-Tek and the peak of Talib Kweli's lyrical prowess. This is the type of album that happens once in a life time. The combination of two artists at their best; released during the perfect time where hip hop NEEDED a record like this. The vibe generated from this record cannot be duplicated. Although the two are currently working on the follow up to this classic record, they will never be able to recapture such a perfect and genuine moment in music.

I could sit here and take you through this album track by track, describing the sonic nirvana this album provides the listener. But instead I will keep this breif. This album is perfect for the winter time, which is upon us, so I highly suggest that you listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment