Tuesday, February 14, 2012

2011 End of the Year Wrap-Up: Honorable Mentions

Yeah yeah I know it's mid-February, but as a full-time student, part time janitor and full-time baller, it's extremely hard to find the time to finish up a list of 127 Albums, EPs, and mixtapes I listened to last year.

Now after my extremely thorough rating system has been completed (at the end of January, but haven't had time to post it), I will post the lists.


Sorry Daedelus, your album was pretty cool, but you just missed our top 40.


First of all here is my criteria/rating scale:
I have taken categories and gave each of the 127 giving them each a rating of 1-10, here are the categories
  • Replay Value - How often did I feel compelled to go back and listen to this album throughout the year?
  • Vocal Performance - For hip hop albums this included flows, rhyme schemes, cadences, etc. For rock albums melodies, quality of vocals, harmonies, etc.
  • Production - How good were the beats/ music.
  • Subject Matter - Lyrical content, song topics
  • Songwriting - Ability to structure a good song, includes quality of choruses/hooks and bridges
  • Cohesion - How well did the album flow? Did it sound like one piece of music, or just a bunch of random track?
  • Originality - How original or creative was the album?
  • Gut feeling - My initial instinct on what I thought the album should rand 1-10

In addition, I also added a "Fillers" category, which took off a negative point for every song I rated 2 or less stars in my iTunes.

I also had a category called "The Big 300" which awarded a bonus point to an album for every track that was picked as the best 300 songs of 2011.



Now without further adieu, I bring you the honorable mentions list. This list includes every album that didn't quite crack my top-40, but still gathered a rating of 45 or higher (the highest rated album was 84, and the lowest was 21)
.


Daedelus

Bespoke

Imaginary Cities

Temporary Resident

The Weeknd

Thursday

Apollo Brown

Clouds

Frank Ocean

Nostalgia/Ultra

Blu

Jesus

Common

The Dreamer/The Believer

Freddie Gibbs

Lord Giveth, Lord Taketh Away

Red Hot Chili Peppers

I'm With You

MarQ Spekt & Kno

MacheteVision

Reks

Rhythmatic Eternal King Supreme

The Cool Kids

When Fish Ride Bicycles

The Decemberists

The King is Dead

Kooks

Junk of the Heart

Ryshon Jones

Friday

St. Vincent

Strange Mercy

Wilco

The Whole Love

Bamboo Bros

American Jibaro

Danny Brown

XXX

Freeway

Statik-Free

My Morning Jacket

Circuital

Random Axe

Random Axe

Amy Winehouse

Lioness

Blu & Exile

Give Me My Flowers While I can Still Smell Them

Mac Miller

Blue Slide Park

MED

Classic

Danger Mouse

Rome

Feist

Metals

Chip Tha Ripper

Gift Raps

Patrick Stump

Soul Punk

Stalley

Lincoln Way Nights

Murs

Varsity Blues 2

Iron & Wine

Kiss Each Other Clean

Corinne Bailey Rae

The Love EP

J. Cole

Cole World

Jill Scott

The Light of the Sun

Wu-Tang Clan

Legendary Weapons

9th Wonder

The Wonder Years

Royce Da 5'9"

Success is Certain

Schoolboy Q

Setbacks

XV

Zero Heroes

Black Rob

Game Tested, Streets Approved

Florence + The Machine

Ceremonials

Gil Scott-Herron & Jamie xx

We're New Here

Hail Mary Mallon

Are You Gonna Eat That?

Pharoahe Monch

W.A.R.

Radiohead

King of Limbs

Freestyle Fellowship

The Promise

Gillian Welch

The Harrow & The Harvest

Beyonce

4

Incubus

If Not Now, When?

Lyle Horowitz

Smiles of a Summer Night

Co$$

Before I Awoke

FlamesYall

InternationYall

Grynch

Timeless

Mayer Hawthorne

Impressions

Rapper Big Pooh

Dirty Pretty Things

Bad Meets Evil

Hell: The Sequel

David Dallas

The Rose Tint

Money Making Jam Boys

The Prestigue

B.o.B

EPIC

Lupe Fiasco

Friend of the People

Nappy Roots

Nappy Dot Org


No comments:

Post a Comment